Menorca Britannia
Menorca Britannia logo

Menorca Britannia.

  • EnglishEnglish
  • EspañolEspañol


In 1740 the Emperor of Austria Charles VI died. He was the former pretender to the crown of Spain, from the early eighteenth century. Now his death in October of that year, will lead the war of Austrian Succession, which effects Spain, France and Prussia on one side and the Austrian Empire on the other supported by England. Britain, always mindful of maintaining a balance in Europe, and concerned about the growing power of the Bourbons, was trying to keep this balance of power with the constant intervention of the powerful Royal Navy, not only in naval battles between large national fleets, but the omnipresence of pirates on the seas and their continuous disruption of maritime trade routes gave plenty concerns for the Royal Navy.

British naval conflicts had started against Spain in America in 1739 and called the War of Jenkins' Ear. (Also referred to as King George’s War). This lasted from 1739 to 1748, with major operations largely ended by 1742. Its unusual name, coined by Thomas Carlyle in 1858, relates to Robert Jenkins, captain of a British merchant ship, who exhibited his severed ear in Parliament following the boarding of his vessel by Spanish coast guards in 1731.

With the death of Emperor Charles VI of Austria, the war was subsumed by the wider War of the Austrian Succession involving most of the powers of Europe. England and Austria were soon at war with France and Spain until peace finally arrived in 1748 with the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle.

During the previous years, Britain had reinforced its naval squadron in the Mediterranean, to the extent that by 1744, the British squadron based at the port of Mahon reached the 33 ships, frigates and smaller vessels, commanded by Vice Admiral Thomas Mathews since 1742.

The role that the Port of Mahon played in this contest was huge. Spain who had intervened in Italy to support the claim of Philip V of the Duchies of Parma, Plascencia and Guastala for his son, the Infante Don Felipe, needed to supply its troops in Italy by his squadron, which sailing from the Spanish Mediterranean coast had to pass in front of the Port of Mahon. The British squadron, in Mahon, a great and well equipped naval base, enjoyed a privileged position for the Italian campaign against Philip V of Spain.

The British fleet under Admiral Mathews, now consisting of 33 ships and three frigates, were blocking the port of Toulon to prevent the escape of the combined Franco/Spanish fleet under Admiral M. Bruyere of the French Court. This comprised 16 French ships and 3 frigates and 12 Spanish ships of Admiral Navarro, which were needed to supply the Allied armies in Italy with food and the requirements needed to continue its campaign.

On February 22, 1744, Admiral Mathews on the ship “Namur,” sighted the combined Franco-Spanish fleet, trying to achieve a breakout. The Spanish ships were bringing up the rear and were, among others, the “Real Felipe” of 112 guns, Flagship of Admiral Captain Navarro. It is precisely the “Real Felipe” which the “Namur” first engaged in a fierce battle, reinforced with two British ships of the line and two frigates. These five together were not able to disable the Spanish vessel, the British even sending a fire ship which explodes against the side of the Real Felipe without affecting the Spanish ship. The remaining Spanish ships fought with bravery, and when in turn the French navy arrived to intervene, Mathews, in the late afternoon, wisely ordered a retreat.

The next day, the antagonists remained expectant of re-engagement, but on the 24th, Mathews decided to retire in order to repair their ships at their base in Mahon. The outcome of the battle was a Spanish vessel on fire, five others with severe damage, and 663 casualties, compared with four British ships destroyed and 400 casualties. The advantage was obtained by the Spanish fleet, which could now victual and reinforce their army of Lombardy, while Mathews was sailing for the port of Mahon.

Felipe V rewarded the Admiral Navarro with the title of Marques de la Victoria. British Admiral Mathews was given a courts-martial, and relieved of his command. No peace treaty was signed until 1748 in Aachen, when the duchies of Parma, Guastala and Plascencia are left for the Infante Don Felipe.

Admiral John Byng

Admiral John Byng, son of George, was the Commander of the Royal Navy squadron in the Mediterranean, in 1756, when the French landed in Minorca, and the star of the tragic shooting that took place in Portsmouth, after a trial when he was found guilty of cowardice and of the ultimate naval defeat by the French. Perhaps the guilt of defeat was not due to him, but rather to the government's need to find a culprit in a time of political uncertainty in England. Byng was given a trial and on March 14, 1757, was shot on board the deck of HMS Monarch in Portsmouth.

Naval battle of Port Mahon

The Duke of Richelieu with an expeditionary force lands in Ciutadella in 1756, crosses the island of Menorca to Mahon, and laid siege to the fortress of San Philip. As the port of Mahon is blocked by the fortress, much of his force landed in Fornells, from where many were transferred by boat half way to Mahon to Cala Mesquida within striking distance of the Port Mahon.

In this French conquest, there was a naval component of great importance, the battle between two squadrons: French and British, a short distance from the entrance of the Port of Mahon. The result would make the ground operations of the British ineffective, and unable to receive the reinforcements needed to resist the attack of the Duke of Richelieu. Therefore this naval battle defines by its decisiveness the outcome of the ground campaign.

The French squadron that had convoyed the troop transport ships of the Duke de Richelieu from the landing at Ciutadella, continued blockading patrols near the castle of San Felipe, where they had laid siege by land, and had begun preparing the emplacements for the batteries for the bombardment of the castle. Then French squadron was made up of 12 ships and 5 frigates with a total of 812 guns. Admiral Galissonnière on the 80-gun ship “Foudroyant” was in command. For its part the British fleet commanded by Admiral John Byng in the “Ramillies”, consisted of 13 vessels with a total of 874 guns and 4 frigates.

The British fleet left Gibraltar en route to Menorca, where it was spotted on May 19, 1756. The French ships were covering the entrance to the port of Mahon. Glandevez commanded the “Redoutable” leading the van, in the centre was Galissonnière in “Foudroyant”, with Couronne in “Clue” commanding the rear. The thirteen English vessels were in line astern, bows to the Southeast and with a long wind. Admiral West in “Buckingham”, was the 4th vessel, Admiral Byng in Ramillies, in the middle and Admiral Edgecombe in “Lancaster” 4th from the rear.

The two fleets pass Isla del Aire in opposite directions and in converging lines commence the attack. West commenced firing on the French vanguard, which in turn fires three volleys over his ships, which become isolated from the rest of the squadron. West is now alone far from the other ships and in this distressing situation strives to head towards Byng, who in turn tries to bear towards the rest of his squadron but his main opponent is the wind, which completely confuses the British slowing headway and which further separates Admiral West in Buckingham from the rest of the fleet. Seizing their opportunity the enemy concentrated their fire on West. Thus, the leading British ships bore the brunt of the fighting without Byng able to resolve the situation.

Gallissonnière not having committed to the forefront of the fight, maintained his eight ships in close line and outflanking Byng passes to the leeward of West and fired vigorously on his ships.

 It is said that the French admiral did not take advantage of the confusion of the British to cut their line in two. Gallissonnère decided against it after finding that West was in the forefront of the combat, and fearing being caught in the crossfire of the British squadron. Byng, meanwhile, failed to appreciate the good condition of his vanguard and missed a great opportunity.

Around six in the afternoon, because both fleets were out of range of their guns, with damage to vessels making manoeuvring difficult, and with darkness falling, they lost contact, which the French expected would be restored by the British the next morning, but this did not happen. French losses were 38 dead and 184 wounded. As for the damage sustained, there was so little that this was able to be repaired overnight.

For the English, the ships, Intrepid and Defiance, suffered extensive damage, only repairable in a dockyard. The dead and wounded were numerous, with no space to be housed onboard properly. Admiral Byng, in a Council of War with his captains, decided to retire to Gibraltar wanting to return after the damage was repaired. However, upon arrival in Gibraltar Admiral John Bing was relieved of his command by Admiral Hawke, for failing in his duty to reinforce the strength of the British garrison with the troops aboard his ships, therefore making inevitable the surrender of St. Philips Castle to the Duke of Richelieu.

This naval battle can be considered uncertain in its outcome, but the ground campaign ended with the surrender of the British to the Duke of Richelieu shortly after. So undoubtedly the naval battle had its impact on the outcome of ground operations and the ultimate surrender of the castle.

Both admirals squandered the opportunities offered during the fight, the British had too soon lost confidence in a victory and retreated from the battle. The French also failed to take advantage of their initial dominant position to destroy the British fleet.

George Forbes and Thomas Cochrane,

Two prominent British sailors who had relations with the island of Menorca, Forbes in the early eighteenth and Cochrane in the early nineteenth centuries, The former, a military officer rose to be Acting Governor of Minorca and the second, a naval officer destroyed the tower of Son Bou. Thomas Cochrane is the character and the inspiration of writer Patrick O'Brian for the character Captain Jack Aubrey in his books "Master and Commander" and others.

Bryce Lyons

For Asociación Menorca Britannia

December 2010


En 1740  muere el Emperador de Austria Carlos VI, el antiguo pretendiente a la corona de España, de principios del siglo XVIII. Ahora, su muerte en octubre de aquel año, propiciará la guerra de Sucesión austriaca, que enfrentará por una parte a España, Francia y Prusia, y por otra al Imperio Austriaco apoyado por Inglaterra. Gran Bretaña, siempre pendiente de mantener el equilibrio en Europa, preocupada por la creciente  hegemonía terrestre del “pacto de familia” de los Borbones,  trata de compensarla  con las constantes intervenciones de su potente Royal Navy, no solo en enfrentamientos navales entre las grandes escuadras nacionales, sino en la continua interrupción de las rutas comerciales marítimas,  por la omnipresencia de sus corsarios en todos los mares.

El enfrentamiento naval británico, ya empezado contra España, en América, en 1739 por “la guerra de la oreja de Jenkins”, y el constante acoso británico a las comunicaciones coloniales españolas, se traslada a Europa, al  fallecimiento del Emperador Carlos VI de Austria. En 1742, Inglaterra, apoya con tropas a Austria, manteniendo aún la paz con Francia, en la que pronto entrarán también España y Francia. En estos años, Gran Bretaña había reforzado su escuadrón naval del mediterráneo, hasta tal punto que en el año 1744, la escuadra británica con base en el puerto de Mahón alcanzaba los  33 navíos, varias fragatas y buques menores, al mando del Vicealmirante Thomas Mathews desde el año 1742. 

El papel que el puerto de Mahón jugó en esta contienda fue de primer orden. España que había intervenido en Italia, para apoyar la pretensión de Felipe V sobre los ducados de Parma, Plascencia y Guastala para su hijo, el infante don Felipe,  necesitaba abastecer sus tropas por medio de su escuadra, que desde la costa mediterránea española tenía que  cruzar por delante del puerto de Mahón para mantener las tropas en Italia, en las mejores condiciones. De ello, por su parte, se aprovechaba la escuadra británica, que  tenía en Mahón, una excelente base naval mediterránea para mantenerla - en todo momento – pertrechada, disfrutando de una situación privilegiada, para esta campaña italiana de Felipe V de España.

La escuadra inglesa al mando del almirante Mathews, compuesta de 33 navíos y 3 fragatas, bloquea el puerto de Tolón para evitar la salida de la escuadra combinada franco-española al mando del almirante francés M. de la Bruyere de Court.– de 16 navíos y 3 fragatas francesas y 12 navíos españoles del almirante Navarro, que pretendian abastecer a los ejércitos aliados de Italia los víveres y repuestos que necesitan para proseguir su campaña.

El 22 de  Febrero de 1744, el almirante Mathews a bordo del navío Namur, avista la escuadra combinada franco-española, a la que trata de alcanzar. Los barcos españoles que formaban la retaguardia eran, entre otros, el Real Felipe de 112 cañones, capitana del almirante Navarro. Será precisamente al navío Real Felipe con el que primeramente se entabló un duro combate, mantenido con dos navíos y dos fragatas inglesas, que no serán capaces de reducir al navío español, contra el que se lanza un brulote británico que explosiona sin afectar al navío español. El resto de los navíos españoles lucharon con bizarría, y cuando viró la escuadra francesa para intervenir, Mathews, a la caída de la tarde, prudentemente ordenó la retirada.

Al día siguiente, las escuadras se mantuvieron expectantes, pero el día 24, Mathews se retiraba a reparar sus buques al arsenal del puerto de Mahón. El balance del combate fue un navío español incendiado, cinco con graves daños, y 663 bajas, frente a cuatro navíos británicos destrozados y 400 bajas. La ventaja la obtuvo la escuadra española, que pudo avituallar a su ejército de Lombardía, mientras Mathews se retiraba al puerto de Mahón.

Felipe V premió al almirante Navarro con el titulo de Marqués de la Victoria. Al almirante británico Mathews se le instruyó un Consejo de Guerra, por el que fue relevado del mando.

Hasta 1748 no se firmó la paz de Aquisgrán, por el que los ducados de Parma, Plascencia y Guastala quedaron para el infante don Felipe.

En la imagen se ven los navíos: Namur (a la izquierda), buque insignia de la escuadra británica al mando del almirante Mathews, y el navío Real Felipe (derecha), de la escuadra española, mandado `por el almirante Navarro. Delante de ellos el brulote británico incendiado, lanzado contra la escuadra española.


El almirante John Byng, hijo de George, era el Comandante del Escuadrón de la Royal Navy en el Mediterráneo, el año 1756, cuando Francia desembarca en Menorca, y es el protagonista del trágico fusilamiento que tiene lugar en Portmouth, después de un Juicio que le consideró culpable de la derrota naval ante los franceses. Posiblemente la culpabilidad de la derrota no se debió a él, sino más bien a la necesidad del gobierno de encontrar un culpable en unos momentos de inseguridad política en Inglaterra.

Byng fue sometido a un juicio terminado en fusilamiento el 14 de marzo de 1757, sobre la cubierta del HMS Monarca, en Portsmouth.

                    Combate naval del puerto de Mahón

El duque de Richelieu desembarca con un cuerpo expedicionario en Ciudadela el año 1756, atraviesa la isla de Menorca hasta Mahón, y pone sitio a la fortaleza de San

Felipe, que toma al asalto. Como el puerto de Mahón está  bloqueado por la fortaleza, parte de su impedimenta la desembarca en Fornells, a mitad de camino de Mahón desde donde incluso se trasladan por barco a la cala Mezquita, en las proximidades del puerto de Mahón.

En esta conquista, hubo una componente naval de gran trascendencia, el combate entre las dos escuadras: francesa e inglesa, frente al puerto de Mahón, cuyo resultado, sentenciaría las operaciones terrestres de los británicos, al no poder recibir el refuerzo que precisaban para resistir el ataque del duque de Richelieu. Por ello, describiremos esta batalla naval por su carácter decisivo en el desenlace de la campaña terrestre.

La escuadra francesa que había convoyado los barcos transporte de tropa del duque de Richelieu, desde el desembarco en Ciudadela mantenían el bloqueo patrullando frente al castillo de San Felipe, donde ya se había establecido el asedio terrestre, y las baterías, preparaban sus asentamientos para comenzar el bombardeo del castillo.

Componían la escuadra francesa 12 navíos con 812 cañones y 5 fragatas. La mandaba el almirante Galissonnière en el navío Foudrayant de 80 cañones. Por su parte la escuadra inglesa mandada por el almirante Byng, en el Ramillies, se componía de 13 navíos con un total de 874 cañones y 4 fragatas.

La escuadra inglesa salió de Gibraltar con rumbo a Menorca, donde fue avistada el día 19 de mayo de 1756. Los navíos franceses cubrían la entrada del puerto de Mahón. Glandevez mandaba la vanguardia en el Redoutable, tercer buque en cabeza, Galissonnière ocupaba el centro en el Foudrayant, y Clue en el Couronne, mandaba la retaguardia. Los trece navíos ingleses formaban en línea de fila, con la proa al Sudeste y viento a un largo. El contralmirante West en el Buckingham, el 4º buque en cabeza;  el almirante jefe Byng en el Ramillies, 4º desde la cola, y Edgecumbe en el Lancaster.

Las dos flotas rebasada la isla del Aire se encuentran frente a frente en líneas convergentes, y se inicia el ataque. Los cinco primeros de West embisten disparando sobre la vanguardia francesa, que a su vez, dispara tres andanadas sobre los británicos, que quedan aislados del resto de la escuadra. West al encontrarse tan apartado de los suyos trata de salir de esta angustiosa situación esforzandose en aproximarse a Byng, quien a su vez trata de caer sobre el adversario aprovechando el viento pero el sexto navio perdió el palotrinquete, y la obligada maniobra consiguiente desordenó la línea inglesa, retardando la marcha, lo que le separó aún mas de West, que el enemigo aprovechó concentrando el fuego sobre West. De esta forma, la vanguardia inglesa soportó el peso del combate sin que Byng supiese resolver la situación.

Gallissonnière, no pudiendo contar con su vanguardia empeñada en el combate, mantuvo sus ocho navíos restantes en línea cerrada, rebasaron a los Byng pendientes de recuperar el orden y al pasar a sotavento de West  cañonearon vigorosamente a sus cinco navios.

Se ha dicho que el almirante francés no aprovechó la confusión de los británicos para cortar la línea enemiga en dos. Gallissonnère renunció a ello por considerar que la vanguardia de West estaba en condiciones de combate, y temió quedar entre dos fuegos de la escuadra inglesa. Byng, por su parte, no supo  apreciar el buen estado de su vanguardia y desaprovechó la oportunidad

Hacia las seis de la tarde, ambas escuadras estaban fuera del alcance de sus cañones, las averías de sus buques dificultaba la maniobrabilidad de la escuadras, por lo que al llegar la noche habían perdido el contacto, que los franceses esperaban sería restablecido por los británicos, a la mañana siguiente, pero no fue así.

Las pérdidas francesas fueron 38 muertos y 184 heridos. En cuanto a las averías, fueron tan pocas, que durante la noche fueron subsanadas.

Por parte de los ingleses, los navíos Captain, Intrepid y Defiance, sufrieron en sus arboladuras grandes daños, solo reparables en un Arsenal. Los muertos y heridos fueron numerosos, sin espacio abordo para albergarlos debidamente. El Almirante Byng, en Junta de Guerra con sus capitanes, decidió retirarse a Gibraltar, sin reforzar la fortaleza con las tropas que transportaba, esperando retornar reparadas las averías. No obstante, al llegar a Gibraltar es relevado en el mando por el Almirante Howke, que llega a Menorca después de la rendición de San Felipe al duque de Richelieu.

El combate naval se puede considerar indeciso,  pero la campaña terrestre terminó con la rendición de los ingleses al duque de Richelieu, poco después del desenlace naval, por lo que sin duda, el combate naval, tuvo sus consecuencias en el desenlace de las operaciones terrestres y en la rendición  del castillo.

Ambos almirantes desaprovecharon las oportunidades que les ofreció el combate; el inglés perdió pronto la confianza en el triunfo y abandonó el campo de batalla, el francés, tampoco supo aprovechar la ventaja inicial para aniquilar al enemigo.

George Forbes y Thomas Cochrane, son  dos marinos británicos destacados que tuvieron relación con la isla de Menorca, Forbes a principios de siglo XVIII y Cochrane a principios del XIX, el primero actuó también como militar de a pié siendo Gobernador Interino de Menorca y el segundo destruyó la torre de Son Bou, cuando Menorca era de nuevo española estaba en guerra contra Inglaterra. Lord Cochrane es el personaje que inspira al escritor inglés Patrick O´Brian en su obra “Master and Comander” y a Peter Weir en el film del mismo título.

Francisco Fornals Villalonga


Asociación Menorca Britannia