Menorca Britannia
Menorca Britannia logo

Menorca Britannia.

 
  • EnglishEnglish
  • EspañolEspañol

PORT MAHON, THE ROYAL NAVY AND BRITISH ADMIRALS

Menorca remained under British sovereignty during almost all of the eighteenth century. Since the war of Spanish Succession, England needed a good port, strategically located and capable enough to guard the Mediterranean Squadron of the Royal Navy and to dominate the Mediterranean.

Port Mahon met those conditions, but needed to have the services required to repair and provision their ships, and to feed and heal their wounded crewmen. To do this having recently conquered the island, and accepting the surrender of the castle of San Felipe, Admiral George Byng anchored with a squadron of Royal Navy ships together with spares and equipment needed to install the required services, and he began the task of constructing the naval base immediately.

Many prominent British sailors passed their time in the port of Mahon, and of those we relate the relationship of the following:

George Byng,----1708.and 1718.
George Forbes,----1710 and 1717.
Thomas Mathews
John Byng, 1756 naval battle.
Lord St. Vincent, 1799.
Sir Thomas Cochrane, 1808.
Cuthbert Collingwood, 1805.1810.
Horatio Nelson, a very brief stay in Port Mahon

ADMIRAL GEORGE BYNG

George Byng was the commander of the British Mediterranean Squadron and three hundred and two years ago George Byng, father of the hapless John, (mentioned later) arrived in Menorca shortly after the castle of San Felipe of Port Mahon had surrendered to General Stanhope, Menorca was officially ceded to British sovereignty by the subsequent Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 which ended the War of Succession to the throne of Spain.

Byng arrived at Port Mahon in early 1709 with his Mediterranean Squadron of the Royal Navy. They immediately set up a much-needed arsenal and a small docking pier below the City Hall on the south side of the harbour (near the existing Aduana Building), but this dock soon proved to be much too small. Very quickly they had to get rid of the bulky materials such as masts, spars, rigging, etc. over to the other side of the harbour for storage and this is where it was decided to build the permanent naval dockyard. The original arsenal, however, remained for many years at the South Pier, and was only moved to the north shore, after the departure of the French in 1763. This was during the second British rule, when Saffron (Pinto) Island was built upon to extend the Naval Base. Today it is the oldest naval unit of the Royal Navy that still remains in the Mediterranean.

AN ASIDE

A recent novel (The Ordeal of Elizabeth Marsh by Linda Colley) has revealed the identity of the naval officer who planned the work on Saffron (Pinto) Island. Melbourne Marsh,> This Royal Naval officer was posted to Port Mahon in 1763 He had previously been a carpenter in the Royal Navy, but by this time was an administrator in the British dockyard. His planning fulfilled the needs of the navy at that time.

The various tasks which had previously taken place on the southern shore (Mahon side), were made thereafter on the islet of Pinto and the adjacent dockyard, with the specially designed docks and the buildings to house materials that had hitherto had to be stacked on the southern jetty. This consisted of the loading and unloading armaments such as guns, shells, and other heavy materials).

Ships had then to proceed for their hulls to be cleaned “Careening” or tilting the vessel on either side, and then proceeding to caulk and waterproof the hull. These tasks would have to have been conducted at least annually to maintain the speed of the vessels required in combat, because the attached fouling could degrade their speed by half. There were several good beaches and coves suitable for this adjacent to the new naval base, such as Cala Rata.

The Royal Naval Base in Mahon comprised all the services required by the Mediterranean Squadron to maintain everything in the best condition. The ships had to be kept ready for combat, with clean hulls, masts, sails, etc.

Whilst the Naval Hospital (very advanced for its time), looked after the health of the crew. The Victualing Yard, supplied the ships of the Royal Navy with canned food received from England every three months, and fresh vegetables and other produce purchased from the island.The Board of Ordnance supplied ships of the squadron with cannon, guns, powder and ammunition, they also supplied the island's various fortresses and units of the Army garrison.The Admiralty was responsible for the overall requirements of the Navy, which included: the ships, men and services. Its orders were carried out through the official Boards and subordinates i.e: Navy, Victualling and Sick and Wounded, and a host of lesser authorities.

For artillery and ordnance stores, the Admiralty made use of the Board of Ordnance, this agency was "amphibious by nature" because it supplied both the Army and Navy. The Admiralty did not name its members had no coercive jurisdiction over them, a circumstance that "was often the cause of delays" in serving the fleet with its equipment.

The Admiralty was responsible for the preparation of the fleet and the appointment of their leaders, although the major commands had to be approved by the King himself, these were not within the direct jurisdiction of admiralty, naval strategy or address.

Merchant vessels required the Admiralty for their "safe passage in the Mediterranean" to protect the ships from the Berber pirates and many other hazards.

Admiral George Byng returned to the island after 8 years on another mission, Felipe V, who had occupied Sardinia the previous year in the summer of 1718, was advised by his Prime Minister Alberoni, and ordered his fleet to conquer Sicily. George I of England had prepared the Quadruple Alliance to oppose the Spanish campaign in Italy.

Britain learning of the Spanish preparation for the Sicilian campaign, ordered Admiral George Byng and the Mediterranean Squadron to oppose this Spanish intervention.

Naval Combat of Cape Pasaro (Sicily)

On July 3, the Spanish troops had entered Palermo (Sicily), with the protection of a powerful fleet of about 30 ships under Admiral Gaztañeta. Byng's squadron, arrives at Mahon on 23 of the month, still ignorant of the impending Spanish action. He embarks from the British army garrison on Menorca three regiments of infantry, and sailing in the direction of Sicily, he disembarked the regiments in Reggio-Calabria.

He then sailed due south through the Straits of Messina in search of the Spanish fleet of Admiral GaztañetaPassaro. At the forefront of the Spanish fleet was the flagship of Admiral Gaztañeta, “San Felipe Real” of 74 guns and a crew of 650 men - the rest of the fleet comprised the rearguard commanded by Admiral Marí in the “Prince of Asturias” of 70 guns and 550 men, and the “San Luis” and “San Fernando”, which had lagged behind due to lack of wind, between Passaro and Syracuse.

The British squadron at the sight of the Spanish off Cape Passaro, makes a heading north-northwest, with its sixteen ships and four frigates, plus the smaller vessels, fire-ships, corvettes, etc., approaching the Spanish fleet which has now passed Syracuse. Byng realizing his distance from the rear of Admiral Marí, decides to attack their vessels and go with the fastest in search of the vanguard of the Spanish fleet under Admiral Gaztañeta.

They initiate combat, without the prior breach of the peace protocols, the British ships “Rupert”, “Montague”, “Dreadnought”, “Essex” & “Argyle” which have pushed hard against the coast to the rear of a surprised Mari, who cannot manouever and is beached and destroyed. The Spanish vanguard is overpowered by the rapid British frigates “Kent”, “Superb”, “Grafton” and “Oxford”, who are bent on fighting against the Spanish in turns, the “Oxford” against “Santa Rosa”, “San Carlos” is attacked by “Kent” which pays the price, while the others face the flagship of Admiral Chacon “Principe de Asturias”, which in turn surrenders, after Chacon is wounded. The “San Felipe Real” with Admiral Gaztañeta is attacked by Admiral Byng in “Barfleur”, supported by seven other British ships which also go on to fight the Spanish “San Luis” and “San Juan Bautista”. This confrontation ends with more than two hundred dead in the “San Felipe Real”, the Spanish admiral wounded and taken prisoner.

The wounded Admirals Gaztañeta, and Chacón and the surrendered the ships of the Spanish fleet were interned in the Colársega, at the inland end of the port of Mahon, after being sailed by prize crews from Sicily to Menorca.

This was the spring of 1718, altogether twelve ships of the Spanish fleet, remained interned for two years at the port of Mahon, the duration of the war. Among them, several ships and a frigate: San “Felipe el Real”, “Prince of Asturias”, “Santa Rosa”, “San Carlos”, “Juno”, and “Surprise” as well as others of smaller size.

A peace was signed in 1721 and Spain was able to rescue some of these ships, however they were found to be stranded, rotten and useless in the mud of the creek. Admiral George Byng returned to Britain and as a reward for his victory was awarded the title of Viscount Torrington. He became the first Lord of the Admiralty between 1727 and 1733.

Bryce Lyons

For Asociación Menorca Britannia

December 2010

PORT MAHÓN del Siglos  XVIII/XIX

LA  ROYAL NAVY y LOS MARINOS BRITÁNICOS

La Gran Bretaña mantuvo Menorca bajo su soberanía  casi a lo largo de todo el  siglo XVIII. Desde la guerra de Sucesión, Inglaterra para dominar el Mediterráneo necesitaba un buen puerto, estratégicamente situado y con capacidad suficiente para resguardo del escuadrón mediterráneo de la Royal Navy. Port Mahón reunía esas condiciones, pero necesitaba disponer de los servicios precisos para reparar y proveer sus barcos, alimentar  y curar a  sus tripulaciones. Para ello recién conquistada la isla y rendido el castillo de San Felipe, el almirante Byng fondeó con un escuadrón de la Royal Navy y los barcos con repuestos y material necesarios para instalar los servicios precisos, iniciando la tarea de inmediato.

Los mas destacados marinos británicos pasaron por el puerto de Mahón, y entre ellos podemos citar a:

George Byng, 1708,1718.
George Forbes, 1710 y 1717.
Almirante Mathews
Jhon Byng, batalla naval 1756.
Lord Saint Vincent, 1799.
Sir Thomas Cochrane, 1808.
Cuthbert Collingwood, 1810,1811.
Horacio Nelson, breve estancia en el Puerto de Mahón

Relataremos a continuación la relación de cada uno de ellos con Menorca

GEORGE BYNG

George Byng llegó a primer Lord del Almirantazgo,  hace ahora doscientos año George Byng, padre del desgraciado John, llegó a Menorca poco después de que el castillo de San Felipe del puerto de Mahón se rindiese al general Stanhope, pasando la isla entera a soberanía británica por el posterior Tratado de Utrech, que dio fin a la guerra de Sucesión al trono de España.

Byng entró a principios de 1709 en el puerto de Mahón, donde montó de inmediato el arsenal que tanto necesitaba el escuadrón mediterráneo de la Royal Navy. Al principio se montó en el muelle de la ribera sur debajo del Ayuntamiento de Mahón, aunque el muelle era de reducidas dimensiones, y pronto tuvo que desembarazarlo de materiales voluminosos, llevando a la orilla norte los materiales de mayor tamaño y volumen, como mástiles, vergas,  jarcias, etc. El arsenal no obstante, permaneció durante muchos años en el muelle sur, y solo se trasladó a la orilla norte, después de la marcha de los franceses en 1763, durante la segunda dominación británica, en que se allanó la isla Saffron (Pinto) (1)  desapareciendo aquel montículo rocoso donde se levantaron después los edificios que aun se pueden contemplar hoy día, como la mas antigua dependencia naval que se conserva de la Royal Navy en el Mediterráneo.

(1)    Una reciente novela (The Ordeal of  Elisabeth Marsh de Linda Colley) nos ha revelado la identidad  del oficial naval que proyectó la obra de la isla Saffron (Pinto). Melbourne Marsh, oficial Naval de Menorca en 1763, con anterioridad por cierto había sido  carpintero de la Royal Navy, y estaba vinculado por su familia a los Arsenales británicos y a la Administración naval.

Las tareas de carenado, que inicialmente se realizaban  en el muelle de la orilla sur, se realizaron a partir de entonces en la isleta de Pinto, que quedó configurada  para ello, construyendo muelles y edificios donde  albergar lo que hasta  entonces se había tenido que apilar sobre el muelle sur, consistente en el traslado a tierra de la impedimenta (cañones, proyectiles, velas y demás materiales pesados), para proceder a continuación a la limpieza del casco sumergido inclinando el navío a uno y otro costado, para después proceder al calafateado que impermeabilizaba el casco. Estas tareas debían realizarse anualmente, para mantener la velocidad de navegación de las embarcaciones, porque las incrustaciones adosadas llegaban a mermar a veces hasta  la mitad de su velocidad (los nudos, millas/hora) requeridos en combate. 

La Base Naval de Mahón de la Royal Navy en Mahón quedó constituida por los servicios que necesitaba el escuadrón mediterráneo de la Royal Navy,  precisos para mantenerse siempre en las mejores condiciones para el combate.

El arsenal mantenía a los barcos a punto para el combate, con cascos limpios, palos, velas, etc

El hospital naval, mantenía el estado sanitario de la marinería.

El Victualing Yard, alimentaba a las tripulaciones  de la Royal Navy  con víveres en conserva, recibidos de Inglaterra cada tres meses, y verduras y hortalizas  frescas  adquiridas  en la isla.

El Board of Ordnance  dotaba de  cañones,  armas, y pólvoras,  a los barcos del escuadrón mediterráneo y también a las fortalezas de la isla y unidades del Royal Army de guarnición.

El  Almirantazgo tenía a su cargo todas las responsabilidades de la Navy, que abarcaba: los barcos, los hombres y los servicios. Su acción la ejercían a través de los oficiales de mar, los negociados (Boards) subordinados: Navy, Victualling y Sick and Wounded, y una serie de autoridades menores.

Para artillería y almacenes de artillería, el Almirantazgo se servía del Board of Ordnance, este organismo era de “naturaleza anfibia”  dado que abastecía al Army y a la Navy. El Almirantazgo no nombraba sus miembros ni tenía jurisdicción coercitiva sobre ellos, una circunstancia que “a menudo era causa de retrasos” en servir equipos a la flota.

El almirantazgo tenía a su cargo la preparación de las flotas y el nombramiento de sus mandos, no obstante los mandos importantes tenían que ser aprobados por el propio Rey, tampoco eran de la competencia del almirantazgo, la estratégia naval ni su dirección.

Los barcos mercantes requerían del almirantazgo “ los  salvoconductos para el mediterráneo” para proteger sus embarcaciones de la piratería berberisca, así como otras múltiples funciones

El almirante Byng volvió a la isla 8 años después con otra misión,

Felipe V, que el año anterior había ocupado Cerdeña, en el verano de 1718, aconsejado por su ministro Alberoni, mandó su flota a conquistar Sicilia. Jorge I de Inglaterra entre ambas acciones había preparado la Cuadruple alianza para oponerse a la empresa italiana de España.

Gran Bretaña al conocer la preparación española para la empresa siciliana, ordenó al almirante George Byng reuniera una escuadra para oponerse a la intervención española

El 3 de julio las tropas españolas habían entrado en Palermo (Sicilia), con la protección de una potente escuadra de unas 30 naves, al mando del almirante Gaztañeta. La escuadra de Byng, al llegar a Mahón el 23 del mismo mes, desconociendo aún la acción española, embarca en su escuadra tres regimientos de guarnición de Menorca, y zarpa con rumbo a Sicilia, donde desembarazado de los regimientos en Regio-Calabria, navega rumbo sur por el estrecho de Mesina en busca del la escuadra española del almirante Gaztañeta, el que se dirige hacia Mesina, bordeando la costa oriental de Sicilia pasando por el cabo Passaro.  A la vanguardia de la escuadra española, abría el rumbo el navío San Felipe la Real de 74 cañones y tripulación de 650 hombres – insignia de la armada del almirante Gaztañeta, seguían: el Principe de Asturias de 70 cañones y 550 hombres, y ya en la retaguardia mandada por el almirante Marí, el Real, el San Luis y el San Fernando, que habían quedado rezagados por falta de viento, entre Passaro y Siracusa.

La escuadra británica al divisar a la española a la altura del cabo Passaro, hace rumbo nornoroeste, con sus dieciséis navíos y  4 fragatas, más los buques menores: brulotes, corbetas, etc, aproximándose a la española, cuya vanguardia ha rebasado Siracusa. Advertido Byng del distanciamiento de la retaguardia del almirante Marí, decide atacarla con parte de sus barcos y dirigirse con los más veloces en busca de la vanguardia de la escuadra española al mando del almirante Gaztañeta. Inician el combate, sin previa ruptura de la paz, los buques ingleses Rupert, Montague, Dreaghnout, Essex y Argyl que han empujado contra la costa a la – sorprendida - retaguardia de Marí, que no puede maniobrar y queda varada y destruida. Por su parte la vanguardia española es alcanzada por las rápidas fragatas inglesas Kent, Superb, Grafton y Orford, que se empeñan en combates fraccionados contra los españoles, el Orford contra el Santa Rosa, el San Carlos atacado por el Kent que lo rinde, mientras los restantes se enfrentan a la nave almirante Príncipe de Asturias, que a su vez también se rinde, después de quedar herido el contraalmirante Chacón. El San Felipe la Real con el almirante Gaztañeta es atacado por el almirante inglés  Byng en el Barfleur, secundado por otros siete navíos ingleses con los que también acuden a combatir los españoles San Luis y San Juan Bautista. Este enfrentamiento acaba con más de doscientos muertos en el San Felipe la Real,  el almirante español herido y preso, con la rendición del buque del almirante.

Heridos Gaztañeta, rendido Marí y prisionero Chacón  los barcos de la escuadra española fueron internados en la Colársega, al fondo del puerto de Mahón, después de ser conducidos desde Sicilia a Menorca

En la primavera del año 1718, los doce barcos de la escuadra española, permanecieron internados dos años en el puerto de Mahón, mientras duró la guerra. Entre ellos, varios navíos y una fragata: San Felipe el Real, Príncipe de Asturias, Santa Rosa, San Carlos, Juno, Volante y Sorpresa, además de otros de menor porte.

Firmada la paz en 1721, poco pudo  rescatar España de estas embarcaciones, varadas,  podridas e inservibles en el fango de la cala.   

El almirante George Byng regresó a Gran Bretaña y como premio a su victoria se le otorgó el título de Vizconde de Torrington. Llegó a ser el primer Lord del Almirantazgo, entre los años 1727 y 1733.

Francisco Fornals Villalonga

Para

Asociación Menorca Britannia